Skip to main content

Second Chances


 I almost missed it. Even after spending the last week thinking about God's response to Cain in Genesis 4. How God again and again pursues Cain's heart. How God again and again tries to let Cain re-engage in relationship with Him. How God offered Cain chance after chance to repent. For the past week, I've ruminated over God's heart and purpose even in the life of a bad offering bringer and brother killer, and yet, I still almost missed it.

Her angry words at the dinner table and her refusal to readjust and rethink were met with discipline, time in her room and an early bedtime. Given the words spoken, the tone with which they were spoken, and the decibel level reached, the discipline was fair and warranted. But as I cleared the table, I knew we couldn't just be done there. The Spirit soothed my frustration and urged me on to chase after the heart and re-engage in the relationship. The Spirit urged me not to miss our second chance.

A second chance in the form of a nutritious (not as yummy as first go round) dinner, a warm bath, some of Mama's special lotion, and one on one time having her hair dried, revealed a repentant little girl battling to control her fleshly willfulness. The second chance gave us the opportunity to engage in conversation about sin and grace. The second chance resulted in her sweet little voice lifting songs of worship along with the music softly playing in the background. The second chance meant she fell asleep snuggled next to me knowing that she was loved unconditionally and always forgiven by me and by God. The second chance meant a repaired relationship. 

Sadly Cain never took his second chance, and the results are seen in the evil that grows in the generations that follow. However, we do see Eve's second chance at the end of chapter 4 when God blesses her with Seth and a new family line to walk in relationship with God. I'm thankful tonight that the Spirit didn't let me miss the second chance my precious girl needed, and I'm grateful for all the second, third, fourth, twenty-seventh chances that have been offered to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God has Answered

Considering the tremendous gifts God has given me, I feel it is imperative that I quickly share our story with you, in the event that you don't already know it, of course. In March 2007, my husband and I found out we were expecting our first child. We were elated, however on June 1, we lost that baby. We were both devastated, and I had a lot of trouble dealing with that loss. I was depressed and felt tremendous guilt even though I knew there was nothing I could have done. It would take us five months to get pregnant again, and we would only experience a week of joy before we would lose that baby as well. After that loss, I became extremely depressed. I had never experienced darkness like that before. I had become a believer in Christ as a small child, and I had experienced few challenges in my life up until that point. November and December were terrible months that year, filled with tears and pain and loneliness. At the end of December, I finally realized that I had becom

How'd I Get Here?

If Attention Deficit Disorder had been a common diagnosis during my childhood, I might have qualified. While I have never been hyperactive like my friends with ADHD, I have some classic ADD symptoms. As a kid, I would frequently look up in class and realize I had no idea what the teacher was talking about because I had been immersed for who knows how long in my daydream scenario sparked by her comment on a topic that had long since been left behind. I was an incredibly slow reader because a character in a book could raise a multitude of questions in my mind that simply had to be answered before I could continue reading. My fellow drivers may find this disconcerting, but sometimes I still experience this phenomenon while driving. I set out on my journey and multitask by thinking through a situation as I drive. When I arrive at my destination, I have no idea how I actually got there. I just hope that while my autopilot kicked in to allow my mind to solve the world's problems

Welcome to the blogging world!

Well, my sister is on vacation this week, so I thought I'd take it upon myself to create a blog for her. That way she will have a wonderful way to share posts of her beautiful daughter when they get back. Hope you're not mad! Love yah!