Skip to main content

How I Found My Village


I saw a mommy blog recently where a mom said, "I was promised a village. Where's my village?" I have compassion for the lonely mom who asked this question, but my gut says she wouldn't really like my answer to her problem. I was transplanted to my current home with a six week old baby and no friends or family in my new town. My heart longed for a community, a village. What happened from there is miraculous but was also really hard work. My answer to that lonely mom is you have to be the village before you have a village, and sometimes you have to be the village over and over and over again before you find yours.

As a former lonely mom who now has an amazing, better than I deserve village, here are my suggestions:

1. Show up- I am an introvert. New places full of strangers and small talk are uncomfortable for me, but in order to find my village, I had to show up every time I was invited. I met one of my now closest, most treasured friends when I showed up to a church organized playdate at her house that ended up being just the two of us and our kids. I had never met her before, and we are both introverts. You can imagine the discomfort, but showing up produced a new friendship. So lonely mom, practice saying yes now. Show up when you're invited even if it makes you uncomfortable. 

2. Show grace- I remember a mistake I made with a now friend's daughter that kept me up an entire night worrying. I didn't intend any harm, but my actions were misguided. When I apologized, my precious friend lavished grace upon me and thus set the stage for a friendship and partnership in kid raising that adds immense value to my life, and I hope hers as well. Her response taught me an important lesson. Show grace first. Show grace often. Show the grace you hope to receive. 

3. Show unconditional kindness- I am a terrible cook. I am not only bad at it. I don't enjoy doing it, but in the early days of village building, I always slapped on a smile, prayed it was edible, and showed the kindness of a meal for every baby that was born or loss that was experienced. I babysat other people's kids and helped with the kids at church, because I realized it was important to be the friend I wanted to have, to show kindness regardless of what I received in return. What I couldn't have predicted, lonely mom, is that several years later when my second daughter was born, I didn't cook for two months because people crowded our doorway with meals or that when we had little loves in foster care living in our home that we would be consistently covered with loving kindness in the form of babysitting, housekeeping, cooking, and friendship. 

Is building a village hard? Yes! Is maintaining a village hard? Yes! Is all that effort worth it? Yes! As we are vulnerable enough to expose our weaknesses and needs to others and selfless enough to show grace and kindness without keeping score, we slowly become better people and better supported people. My village is a consistent, undeserved blessing that makes my life sweeter and richer. Lonely mom, be the village even when you are too tired to be the village, and one day you'll look up and realize you are surrounded and supported in exactly the way you need at exactly the moment you need it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God has Answered

Considering the tremendous gifts God has given me, I feel it is imperative that I quickly share our story with you, in the event that you don't already know it, of course. In March 2007, my husband and I found out we were expecting our first child. We were elated, however on June 1, we lost that baby. We were both devastated, and I had a lot of trouble dealing with that loss. I was depressed and felt tremendous guilt even though I knew there was nothing I could have done. It would take us five months to get pregnant again, and we would only experience a week of joy before we would lose that baby as well. After that loss, I became extremely depressed. I had never experienced darkness like that before. I had become a believer in Christ as a small child, and I had experienced few challenges in my life up until that point. November and December were terrible months that year, filled with tears and pain and loneliness. At the end of December, I finally realized that I had becom

How'd I Get Here?

If Attention Deficit Disorder had been a common diagnosis during my childhood, I might have qualified. While I have never been hyperactive like my friends with ADHD, I have some classic ADD symptoms. As a kid, I would frequently look up in class and realize I had no idea what the teacher was talking about because I had been immersed for who knows how long in my daydream scenario sparked by her comment on a topic that had long since been left behind. I was an incredibly slow reader because a character in a book could raise a multitude of questions in my mind that simply had to be answered before I could continue reading. My fellow drivers may find this disconcerting, but sometimes I still experience this phenomenon while driving. I set out on my journey and multitask by thinking through a situation as I drive. When I arrive at my destination, I have no idea how I actually got there. I just hope that while my autopilot kicked in to allow my mind to solve the world's problems

Welcome to the blogging world!

Well, my sister is on vacation this week, so I thought I'd take it upon myself to create a blog for her. That way she will have a wonderful way to share posts of her beautiful daughter when they get back. Hope you're not mad! Love yah!