Skip to main content

To my daughters on election day...

I don't know the results of this election yet, but I am at peace. I voted today, and I'll vote the next time and the time after that. I'm grateful to live in this country where I (and in a few years you), as a woman, can be heard, be educated, and be valued. This is a gift. Recognize your privilege. Advocate for this right for other women around the world. Take it seriously but not too seriously. It matters, but it doesn't matter most.

Remember all our people statements? People are more important than possessions. People are more important than plans. Well, sweet girls, people are most certainly more important than politics. So as you continue to grow into the amazing women I am beginning to see glimpses of more and more frequently, remember that the way you follow Jesus will always matter more than the way you vote. Did you feed the hungry today? Love the unloveable? Clothe the cold? Friend the friendless? Share the only hope that is unwavering? That's what matters most, and that has more power to change the world than any politician ever will.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God has Answered

Considering the tremendous gifts God has given me, I feel it is imperative that I quickly share our story with you, in the event that you don't already know it, of course. In March 2007, my husband and I found out we were expecting our first child. We were elated, however on June 1, we lost that baby. We were both devastated, and I had a lot of trouble dealing with that loss. I was depressed and felt tremendous guilt even though I knew there was nothing I could have done. It would take us five months to get pregnant again, and we would only experience a week of joy before we would lose that baby as well. After that loss, I became extremely depressed. I had never experienced darkness like that before. I had become a believer in Christ as a small child, and I had experienced few challenges in my life up until that point. November and December were terrible months that year, filled with tears and pain and loneliness. At the end of December, I finally realized that I had becom

How'd I Get Here?

If Attention Deficit Disorder had been a common diagnosis during my childhood, I might have qualified. While I have never been hyperactive like my friends with ADHD, I have some classic ADD symptoms. As a kid, I would frequently look up in class and realize I had no idea what the teacher was talking about because I had been immersed for who knows how long in my daydream scenario sparked by her comment on a topic that had long since been left behind. I was an incredibly slow reader because a character in a book could raise a multitude of questions in my mind that simply had to be answered before I could continue reading. My fellow drivers may find this disconcerting, but sometimes I still experience this phenomenon while driving. I set out on my journey and multitask by thinking through a situation as I drive. When I arrive at my destination, I have no idea how I actually got there. I just hope that while my autopilot kicked in to allow my mind to solve the world's problems

Welcome to the blogging world!

Well, my sister is on vacation this week, so I thought I'd take it upon myself to create a blog for her. That way she will have a wonderful way to share posts of her beautiful daughter when they get back. Hope you're not mad! Love yah!