Skip to main content

Nurturing Hacks for the Naturally Non-Nurturing


Today is my second anniversary as a foster mom. So far I have not been showered with balloons or congratulatory cards. Honestly, I didn't notice the significance of the date until someone asked me yesterday how long I had been a foster parent, but since I have now made the connection I will choose to celebrate the milestone after all. Perhaps a venti latte is in my future. 

Even Minecraft can't occupy my girls long enough for me share everything I have learned in the past two years, but I would like to share some practical, easy "hacks" I am currently implementing to improve my nurturing skills. Parenting kids from hard places is different than parenting healthy, typically developing kids who have always had reliable caregivers. My bio girls have faired fine with what I have learned is my dismissive parenting, because I have consistently shown up and provided care, my presence, and my affection. If I happen to be one of those moms that tells her child to "brush it off" when she falls off her bike, it probably won't significantly affect her emotional development or our relationship. However, for a child that has had unstable and unreliable caregivers, that bike accident needs to be met with consistent nurturing and care. This does not come naturally to me. Even so, I am not excused from growing, changing, and trying. 

Last month, I made a commitment to provide care and nurturing for even the most "trivial" injuries. In order to set myself up for success amidst the craziness that is our home, I spent a few minutes coming up with easy ways to counteract my naturally dismissive inclination when the needs outnumber my available hands. 

  • First, I put fun, kid bandaids everywhere. I have a baggie in my purse, the car, the kitchen cabinet, the pool bag, and the bathroom. All boos-boos get bandaids, even if there is no blood and even if the boo-boo was the result of a foolish choice or disobedience or is actually a mosquito bite. If it's a boo-boo in the child's mind, I offer to put a bandaid on it. 
  • Second, I bought a couple of cute little penguin-shaped boo-boo ice packs. These are offered for being too hot, headaches, smashed fingers, and anything else a bandaid might not fix. 
  • Lastly, I keep peppermint and lavender essential oils and sugar-free gum in the house and the car for upset tummies or worried minds. Deep-breathing and chewing on something sweet are easy ways to offer care for the "inside hurts" of my little people.  

The truth is, my kids, even the ones from hard places, don't usually need me to fix boo-boos, worries, or hurts. However, they do need me to acknowledge the boo-boos and care that they exist. I believe there is hope for growth even for a sometimes dismissive mommy like me and so what if it takes a few safeguards, shortcuts, or hacks to get me there.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God has Answered

Considering the tremendous gifts God has given me, I feel it is imperative that I quickly share our story with you, in the event that you don't already know it, of course. In March 2007, my husband and I found out we were expecting our first child. We were elated, however on June 1, we lost that baby. We were both devastated, and I had a lot of trouble dealing with that loss. I was depressed and felt tremendous guilt even though I knew there was nothing I could have done. It would take us five months to get pregnant again, and we would only experience a week of joy before we would lose that baby as well. After that loss, I became extremely depressed. I had never experienced darkness like that before. I had become a believer in Christ as a small child, and I had experienced few challenges in my life up until that point. November and December were terrible months that year, filled with tears and pain and loneliness. At the end of December, I finally realized that I had becom

How'd I Get Here?

If Attention Deficit Disorder had been a common diagnosis during my childhood, I might have qualified. While I have never been hyperactive like my friends with ADHD, I have some classic ADD symptoms. As a kid, I would frequently look up in class and realize I had no idea what the teacher was talking about because I had been immersed for who knows how long in my daydream scenario sparked by her comment on a topic that had long since been left behind. I was an incredibly slow reader because a character in a book could raise a multitude of questions in my mind that simply had to be answered before I could continue reading. My fellow drivers may find this disconcerting, but sometimes I still experience this phenomenon while driving. I set out on my journey and multitask by thinking through a situation as I drive. When I arrive at my destination, I have no idea how I actually got there. I just hope that while my autopilot kicked in to allow my mind to solve the world's problems

Welcome to the blogging world!

Well, my sister is on vacation this week, so I thought I'd take it upon myself to create a blog for her. That way she will have a wonderful way to share posts of her beautiful daughter when they get back. Hope you're not mad! Love yah!