Skip to main content

Retreat!



One month ago today, we welcomed two new beauties into our home and family through foster care. Going from a mom of two to the mom of four overnight pretty much rocked my world. There have been lots of changes I expected, but one change that I had not expected was my sudden reluctance to leave home. In all honesty, I became afraid of taking all four kids places with me. The grocery store, restaurants, and even church became places that produced anxiety as I tried to figure out how to manage the bickering, disobedience, requests, and wandering of four little people all at once outside of the safe confines of our home.  

On Sunday, Matt and I decided to take the day off from our regular responsibilities. We had the opportunity to go to Tennessee and celebrate my nephew's decision to follow Christ in baptism, and we took it, even made a full day of it. All six of us worshiped together, celebrated together, and then ventured out to the zoo to have fun together. Admittedly, I was nervous. I was expecting the entire trip to end in a flurry of tears, screaming, and exhaustion. Much to my surprise, our trip back to Alabama was filled with little girl giggles, silliness, and singing, and a new found connectedness as a family.

What happened in just one day that changed our family dynamic, that bonded us in a new way? We retreated. We stepped away from the everyday routine and busyness of life and embraced adventure, fun, and new experiences as a family. Merriam-Webster defines the word "retreat" as "movement by soldiers away from an enemy because the enemy is winning or has won a battle". I didn't realize that the enemy was winning the battle for real, close connections in our home until I stepped away and saw what could be. In October, our family will retreat for two days as part of The Brook's Family Retreat. I am again a little nervous about how we will meet all the needs our family has right now in this unfamiliar setting, but unlike last week, I am now also incredibly excited to experience all the new things together and hear the excited chatter and giggling from four little girls who are learning to be a family. I am excited to talk to them about all the new things they see, hear, or conquer. I am approaching this expecting that God will draw us to Him and each other in a new way as we retreat with expectation and intentionality.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God has Answered

Considering the tremendous gifts God has given me, I feel it is imperative that I quickly share our story with you, in the event that you don't already know it, of course. In March 2007, my husband and I found out we were expecting our first child. We were elated, however on June 1, we lost that baby. We were both devastated, and I had a lot of trouble dealing with that loss. I was depressed and felt tremendous guilt even though I knew there was nothing I could have done. It would take us five months to get pregnant again, and we would only experience a week of joy before we would lose that baby as well. After that loss, I became extremely depressed. I had never experienced darkness like that before. I had become a believer in Christ as a small child, and I had experienced few challenges in my life up until that point. November and December were terrible months that year, filled with tears and pain and loneliness. At the end of December, I finally realized that I had becom

How'd I Get Here?

If Attention Deficit Disorder had been a common diagnosis during my childhood, I might have qualified. While I have never been hyperactive like my friends with ADHD, I have some classic ADD symptoms. As a kid, I would frequently look up in class and realize I had no idea what the teacher was talking about because I had been immersed for who knows how long in my daydream scenario sparked by her comment on a topic that had long since been left behind. I was an incredibly slow reader because a character in a book could raise a multitude of questions in my mind that simply had to be answered before I could continue reading. My fellow drivers may find this disconcerting, but sometimes I still experience this phenomenon while driving. I set out on my journey and multitask by thinking through a situation as I drive. When I arrive at my destination, I have no idea how I actually got there. I just hope that while my autopilot kicked in to allow my mind to solve the world's problems

Welcome to the blogging world!

Well, my sister is on vacation this week, so I thought I'd take it upon myself to create a blog for her. That way she will have a wonderful way to share posts of her beautiful daughter when they get back. Hope you're not mad! Love yah!